Introduction: cblgh

Hello!

I’m cblgh, aka Alexander Cobleigh. Elsewhere: github, www, twitter, fedi

What projects are you working on?

My work as of late has tended to circle around local & personal communities and enabling them via peer-to-peer applications and services.

Cabal is like Slack/Discord, except you don’t need to register an account or run a server (or have your data mined). TrustNet is a subjective trust-based approach to community moderation (& more) I proposed and implemented as my Master’s thesis. Lieu is a search engine for community webrings & their connected sites.

I also contribute to projects like Secure Scuttlebutt, a peer-to-peer platform for implementing robust & community-centered social networks, and the peer-to-peer hypercore (formerly dat) ecosystem. A lot of my projects also tend to scratch personal itches: I’ve made a localStorage-based budget tracker, a wiki software, a static-site generator (which converts markdown articles into html using a plain-text structure), and other stuff.

What aspects of software do you think about? What would you like to see in this community space?

I am interested in exploring approaches for small-scale creators to achieve relative financial independence, primarily for the purposes of unblocking interesting projects & collaborations.

As touched on above, a lot of my energy is focused on developing & collaborating on projects that aim at increasing resilience and independence of smaller-scale personal communities. Hopes for this particular community: getting to know more people in the surrounding suburb, find inspiration in projects peers are creating, and (re-)live the old-school lower-cadence forum life.

Anything else you’d like to share?

New music, tasty food & baking give me joy :~

Welcome! I always have the reflex when speaking to call you by your first name but do you prefer cblgh (spoken as co-blee)?

I was thinking of doing an event at some point with ‘fully-funded’ independant open-sourcerers like Sindre Sorhus or maybe even Hundred Rabbits. Would you use that label for yourself or your collaborators after Cabal’s FundOSS round?

Me too :slight_smile:

Welcome! I always have the reflex when speaking to call you by your first name but do you prefer cblgh (spoken as co-blee)?

I actually prefer Alex in verbal communication :^) thanks for asking!

Would you use that label for yourself or your collaborators after Cabal’s FundOSS round?

Oh no, definitely not yet at all! I have a small meter on my about page that shows a rough estimate of my progress towards a sustainable & recurring income, I haven’t updated it in a while but it has basically been hovering between 5-15%.

Regarding the FundOSS: we’ve yet to meet up and discuss how we portion out that donation round, but if we do it like we did previously we will have an even split across ~5 people. That’s a respectable amount of money, but it’s not recurring and it was a one-off occurrence. We’re all extremely grateful, though! The response to our FundOSS entry blew me away completely.

Thanks for setting this up, Rosano! Looking forward to hanging out more :sun_with_face:

1 Like